Friday, January 14, 2011

Frugal tip Friday - for your shiny hair!


I've heard that washing your hair too much can cause dryness and can pull out your hairs natural oils. I began washing my hair now twice a week only and I’ve noticed my hair feeling healthier. But I want to go a step further! I’ve been working on being more frugal and more natural these days (as you know!) I would really like to stop using store brought hair products all together, not only because of the cost part but also because of the chemicals part. There are so many different chemicals that I’d just rather not have seep into my scalp! I’ve been doing some experimenting with conditioners. After one experimentation of mixing olive oil, with vegetable glycerin with apple cider vinegar, my hair was like a grease ball! I had to wash it about five times before the grease came out. Looking back it was kind of like a hot oil treatment. The next time it came to conditioning my hair, I went on a friends recommendation and just used some spray from a spray bottle that I had of apple cider vinegar and massaged this into my hair. Surprisingly, and oddly considering that I think apple cider vinegar is acidic, my hair felt moisturized and smooth! It added weight to my hair too, which is great because I can have problems with frizz.  It is even used to prevent hair loss!

From Natural Hair Products
"Rinsing with apple cider vinegar will help balance the pH of your hair and remove the buildup that can result from the use of these styling products and inexpensive shampoos.

Rinsing will also close the numerous cuticle scales which cover and protect the surface of each hair shaft. This imparts a smoother surface which reflects more light and as a result leaves your hair shinier, smoother and easier to manage."

It’s so simple and yet so wonderful! Now I use only apple cider vinegar twice a week for a little extra conditioning, and my hair feels so much more full! The results make me wonder if store bought hair products can really damage hair. Try it to save on $ and save your hair!

BoostMyBlogFriday

Happy Frugal Tip Friday!! & thanks for stopping by!

Nikki

If you would like to submit a guest post for frugal tip fridays, please send an email to simplelivinginabigcity@yahoo.com.

ps I've made a little compilation of all of the Frugal tip Fridays in a book called "Simple Living on the cheap in NYC". Here is the link if you would like to check it out! Just Click here. Otherwise you can just scroll through the link Frugal Tip Friday on the navigation bar. 

4 comments:

  1. I like your blog! You got some really good tips here.

    Following you now from Boost my blog Friday.

    Ms.Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wash my hair every morning. Is that too much? But if I wait even a day and a half, it starts to look really greasy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some apple cider vinegar that I seriously was thinking...well what do I even do with this. Hmmmm...do you spray a lot? Two or three sprays? My hair is pretty short. And do you leave it in or rinse it out after a minute or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I need some shine on this head. Good shine, not bad shine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and dropping some comment love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...