Thursday, November 4, 2010

Want to go Ice Skating for Free!? in a gorgeous background?


I grew up in the suburbs. We had baseball fields, soccer fields, football fields and ice skating/roller skating rinks all over the place. My sister and brother would go the local ice skating rink and get fries and hot chocolates and ice skate and hang out. I have fun memories of going when I was younger. When I moved to the city for awhile I didn't think the city had ice skating rinks. Besides that I just wasn't very well informed, I guess the city was so big and because I didn't see signs for them I didn't think they existed! I was so wrong! There is plenty of ice skating going on, and some that is actually affordable!  I've been to the locations where the ice skating takes place and they are all really pretty!  While its very different from a handcrafted ice skating rink on a local frozen lake, skating in the city is beautiful in its own way. With all this chilly weather, its getting me thinking about going ice skating:) I'm craving a skate in mittens and a scarf and some hot cocoa!

Here are a few locations where you can ice skate in New York City:

Citipond at Bryant Park - Citipond is a gorgeous picturesque skating rink in the middle of Bryant Park located at 42nd & 6th Avenues right outside of the NY Public Library. Christmas shops line the outside of the skating rink. And the best part about this rink? Its free!! Totally free to skate! You do have to pay for your skate rental (unless you bring your own skates) which costs 13$. The rink is open from last weekend October 29th until February 27th and is available for skate:

Sun-Thurs 8a-10p
Friday & Sat 8a-12a

Rockefeller Center - The ice skating rink at Rockefeller Center is just beautiful. I've never been ice skating but I do make it a point for us to go every year to have a hot cocoa and walk around the shops and the big tree. Its just so lit up and warm but chilly at the same time, makes me feel like the holidays are definetly close. Where else can you ice skate to the right of the biggest Christmas tree in the world (excluding maybe the one in Christmas Vacation) and to the left of gorgeous bright gold holiday decorations?  Located in between the buildings at 47th - 50th Sts and 5th - 6th Avenues, the rink is open from October 9-April of the next year. To skate the cost is alittle pricey, but I guess you're paying for the scenery. Adults pay 10-19$, while children pay 7.50-12.50$. Rentals of ice skates are 8-9$. 

Ice skating at Rockefeller Center is open from

Monday - Thursday 9:00am - 10:30pm
Friday - Saturday 8:30am - Midnight
Sunday 8:30am - 10:00pm

Wollman Skating Rink at Central Park - Nestled in the middle of Central Park, Wollman Skating Rink is a really nice getaway from the city. You can skate away from the crowds (unless they are gathered in the park) and away from the hustle and bustle. Wollman Rink opens every year in October and is open now! They close in April of the next year. To skate at Wollman the charge is Monday-Thursday (adults) $10.50 and (kids) $5.50. Friday through Sunday the price goes alittle higher and is (adults) $15 and (kids) $5.75. To rent ice skates, the charge is 6.25$. Wollman Rink is open

Monday & Tues - 10a-2:30p
Wed & Thurs - 10a-10p
Friday & Sat - 10a-11p
Sunday 10a-9p

By far the best value is Bryant Park with only 13$ to spend on a skate rental! Good Luck with your ice skating this season and remember your mittens!

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by and dropping some comment love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...