Thursday, August 12, 2010

Eat Pray Love - a review in Italy, India & Bali

Last night I had the opportunity to see a movie I've been waiting for a long time to see called "Eat Pray Love." While I was in yoga school, I read the book and I just fell in love with author Elizabeth Gilbert. It is a beautifully written story about a woman who leaves her life behind in NYC in search of another. With nothing left, Liz (played by Julia Roberts) decides to go on an adventure to Italy (the eating part), India (the praying part) and finally Bali (the love part) in search of her new life. I've seen movies like "Under the Tuscan Sun" that have become a quick favorite, chick flick sure, but one of my go to movies that I watch with a glass of red wine in one hand and chocolate fudge brownie frozen yogurt in the other. I thought this was going to be a great go to movie, and while it was amazing plush scenery and truly made me feel like I was in those different countries, there was something about Liz's character that keeps me from making it one of my favorites. Julia Roberts acting was true to life and very believeable, maybe it was the director Ryan Murphy's take on the character, but there was something about her that I couldn't love.

Her character leaves on this life transforming journey and in India, I feel like her transformation time there was overlooked by the director. While staying at an ashram Liz attempts a few times to meditate but I didn't get to see her truly change the way spirituality I believe can truly change a person. She forgave herself sure, and that was good for her character because it helped her to be able to move on, but I didn't see it. I was almost rushed through her time in India. I saw her say that she forgave herself, but I didn't see her do it. At one point she is scrubbing the floors, an act that is done in devotion and her character doesn't seem to get that. Maybe if after the end of her time in India, she scrubbed the whole floor and looked at what she had done, I would see that, or if she had not have given up her vow of silence to be a tour guide for the ashram and at the end of the silence was changed. I didn't get to go on that journey with her through India and I would've loved to. 

My favorite line was when in Bali Liz is told  by a healer "Sometimes you have to let go of your balance with love to find your balance with life." I thought that was beautiful and real to everyone who loves. 

The movie is definetly one to see and I would pay to see it.  The locations were to die for and so real that I felt like I was visiting Italy, India and Bali. Especially the closeups of yummy Italian food in Italy, I was hungry afterwards!  The film includes actors Julia Roberts, Billy Crudup, James Franco and Javier Bardem (the best part of Bali, well him and Ketut her warm hearted healer guru, in my opinion!)


Are you looking forward to seeing this movie? Do you like Julia Roberts?

3 comments:

  1. How did you get to see this already?! I thought it comes out tomorrow? I have the book but haven't read it yet. I can't wait to see the movie when I'm doing though. Looks fabulous & I love JR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to see this one. And I think Julia Roberts shines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't read this post at all, because i still need to read the book! My sis is bringing it to me tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and dropping some comment love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...