Friday, June 11, 2010

Frugal Tip Friday - for your meals!

It always helps to be able to cook what is at the bottom of the pantry when the fridge is empty. Not only because it means a postponed trip to the grocery store, but especially because it saves on lunches and dinners, and here is just one of the recipes for you! 




Since we got back on Sunday, I was only able to stop by the little veggie shop but not really able to go grocery shopping for the week. So last night I got home from class and looked through the fridge thinking what I could make us for lunches to take to work. The only thing we had were carrots, a few parsnips and mushrooms, and I rememebered we had a bag of lentils in the pantry. I usually pass them over because I'm afraid of burning them and what spices I'm supposed to mix with them etc. But I was feeling daring...and alittle desperate, lol. So I got a simple recipe for how to cook lentils from online...and threw the bag of lentils into the rice cooker along with 2 chopped carrots, 1 chopped parsnips, 4 cups of water (to about 2 cups of lentils) and 1 large tablespoon of curry powder (for spice!)

into our Rice Cooker! I guess it makes sense but I've just never thought of it, it is just like a slow cooker.  It cooked for about 40 minutes. While that cooked, I cut up the mushrooms and sauteed them in olive oil, 1 chopped garlic clove and a half a cup of balsamic vinegar. They sauteed for about 20 minutes. The whole meal took about 45 minutes to an hour to make, and now we have leftovers. I love it when I think we don't have anything to eat, and then I realize I just have to well, dig in the pantry!
Here is how our lunches turned out:) pretty in their glass containers right!?


504 Main


Happy Frugal Tip Friday!
-Nikki

4 comments:

  1. Great idea to use the rice cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job for being creative and frugal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. M daughter loves lentils...I am lazy and buy them from TJ's. I need to learn how to cook them...THANKS! Looks super yummy! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and dropping some comment love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...