Friday, April 23, 2010

Earth Day Commitment Day 2 - What I have and what I learned

After the first day of throwing away nothing but recycled paper, plastic, glass and compost (bringing it home and putting it in a pot with a hole to air out until it gets filled enough to put into the small yard we have in Brooklyn or bring to the lakehouse), I have a small plastic baggy of garbage. Here's what I have -

1- a starbucks lid. I learned yesterday that starbucks lids are not recycleable here in NYC (they are a #6 and only 1 and 2 numbered plastics are recycleable in NYC) but they are recycleable in NJ, which is great because I go there often to visit family so I will be bringing my lids with me.
2- a wooden stirrer...from yet again, starbucks. I have to check and see if this can go into my compost pile as wood decomposes fast.
3- 3 honey packets from Starbucks (I won't be doing this again, as I went to the store and bought a glass honey jar that I can recycle after using). Who knew my tea habit would be costing the environment so much!??
4- a tea bag that goes into the compost.
5- apple core, into compost.
6- There are these amazing snacks called Snappea Crisps that are baked peas. I love them and I've become addicted to them, but they come in one those plastic bags that you just cannot resuse and that is non recylceable. So I won't be buying those anymore until they change packaging (I've heard sunships are starting to use biodegradeable bags so maybe I'll switch to those) but I will be keeping that darn plastic baggie with me until May 1st.
7- a butter wrapper. I don't know if this kind of paper is recycleable in paper. Its kind of waxy. Does anyone know if it is?

Thats about it.

I learned about this great company Eco products that makes biodegradeable garbage bags, they are called Biobags. They even make biodegradeable bags for doggie do-do! We've decided to switch our garbage and doggie do-do bags to biobags. Just think - how crazy is it that we use plastic bags that don't degrade to throw away garbage? We are creating more garbage to get rid of old garbage. That just doesn't make sense to me, so we're excited to be switching to biodegradeable. Here's their site if you want to take a look -Biobag

**** New Addition at 4:12 pm - found out that butter paper wrappers are biodegradeable and can go with compost, I just have to rip them up into tiny pieces, yaye!
Good Luck with your Earth Commitment!!

ps- frugal tip friday will resume Friday May 7th with some fun green & frugal tips!

and as always Happy Friday Follow!

13 comments:

  1. Hi, Im following you from Friday Follow & loving your blog!

    Elle
    http://www.elle-fitlyspoken.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new follower from follow friday -- I'm always trying to simplify my life. And ugh, doggie doo bags. I'd been plastic bag free before getting a dog and now I've been using them for doo but I was JUST thinking I needed to find something biodegradable so I can go (otherwise) bag free again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for becoming a follower! to reply to your comment: i cleaned there room right before pictures. i hope you stop by pften, i love feedback! well thanks again! i hope all is well, take care and have a great weekend!

    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you, helping our earth :)
    now following you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute puppy!!!

    Following you back from Friday Follow!!!

    Val at www.TruthBeToldBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for swinging by my blog today. Following you back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from Friday Follow - and so glad I found you!

    Don't miss the Mother's Day Gift Basket Give Away at my site!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. We bought McDonald's for dinner tonight. No styrofoam. Does that count? My contributions yesterday was car pooling...I actually do this one a lot. I have the canvas bags for shopping, but I am blond and I always forget to bring them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to meet a fellow earth lover
    http://ofmiceandramen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there.

    Here from Friday Follow and very interested in making those little changes to make my life a little greener.

    I can't wait for you to follow me at http://www.paringdown.com

    Have a super weekend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy FF! Just stopping by to say hello! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there.
    Stopping by from Friday Followers to say hello.
    Have a great weekend!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/04/when-is-bigger-better/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you, Nikki! Wish I could say I was as focused as you. But, I'm trying!

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and dropping some comment love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...